Skip to main content

My Obsession by uzochuks Henry



It had taken a long time to come to terms with what had happened.  For months I went through acute bouts of depression, crying most of the day and long into the night.  Then for a while it would pass and I’d begin to believe I’d accepted my loss, until the awful pain would start all over again.

 

Mum was wonderful.  She’d sit with me as I cried and held me close when only the silent heartbreak was left.

“Time will heal, Joy,” she kept saying.  “I promise you it will.”

 

I believed her.  When my father had died I didn’t think she’d ever get over it, but she had, and deep down I knew that in time I’d learn to live without Paul and our baby.

The strange thing was when that time came I didn’t even realise…

 

A few of the girls at work had insisted on taking me out to lunch to celebrate my birthday.  I’d protested at first, preferring to be on my own, but they refused to listen and, just after one o’clock, I was sitting in the pub with a basket of chicken and chips on my lap.

I didn’t notice Mike looking in my direction until Sally nudged me.  I felt embarrassed and flattered at the same time.  Since Paul had died I hadn’t bothered about anyone else, now my heart had begun to beat a little faster and my cheeks were hot.

 

The situation wasn’t one I was used to and I didn’t quite know how to handle it.  In the end I concentrated hard on what the other girls were saying and tried to ignore the admiring looks Mike was giving me.  When we got up to leave I breathed a sigh of relief.  Mike’s attention had been flattering, but had made me feel uncomfortable, too.

Later that afternoon my phone rang.

“Hello – is that Joy?”

“Yes,” I said, puzzled by the strange voice.  “Who’s that?”

“My name’s Mike Denver,” was the reply.  “I saw you in the pub at lunchtime, only I didn’t have the courage to talk to you with all your friends around.”

 

“How...how did you know my name and where to ring me then?” I asked.

It was crazy but my heart was beating with excitement and my voice was beginning to tremble.

“I asked one of your friends as you were leaving,” Mike explained.  “I hope you didn’t mind me ringing you, Joy.  I know it’s a cheek, but I’d like to get to know you.”

 

Suddenly I knew I wanted to get to know Mike, as well, so when he asked me to go out with him that night, I accepted.  Mum was thrilled when I told her, and without actually saying so we both knew I was ready to start facing life again...

From our first date Mike and I got on really well.  I felt at ease with him, and it wasn’t long before I could talk about Paul without the pain and heartbreak.  The night I told Mike about the accident he was kind and understanding.

 

“We were going to be married,” I said with a quick smile.  “In fact the wedding was only a couple of weeks away.  We’d been out to celebrate that night...”  I’d paused there for some reason not wanting to tell Mike that the reason for the celebration meal was that I’d just found out I was going to have Paul’s baby.  “Anyway, on the way home a truck came careering across the road.  There was no way it could have missed us...”

 

Mike’s arm was around my shoulder and as I finished speaking he pulled me nearer.

“You must have loved Paul very much,” he said quietly.

I nodded.  “Yes, I did,” I whispered. “But it’s all in the past now, and I can’t bring it back.”

Mike held me for a moment without saying a word, and in the silence we seemed to grow closer together. I suppose I should have told him about the baby then, but it was early in our relationship and I didn’t see what it would achieve.  Anyway, losing my baby was such a painful memory I still found it hard to talk about…

 

Gradually the past began to fade, and the future seemed more welcoming.  Mike had eased me away from the dark days and taught me how to live again.  He helped me accept it had happened and to look forward to the future – whatever it held.

It was a while before I realised how much I’d begun to enjoy life again.  Mike was good to be with and the more I saw of him the happier I felt.  Suddenly I was having fun again, and Mike was the reason.

“It’s as though we're made for each other, Joy,” he told me once.  His eyes were shining and he was smiling happily.

“Maybe we are,” I replied softly, and as Mike kissed me I couldn’t deny the emotions I felt inside.  For the second time in my life I’d fallen deeply in love, and it was a wonderful feeling…

 

It was something I thought would never happen to me again but it had, and the happiness it brought was overwhelming.  When Mike asked me to marry him I didn’t hesitate in saying yes

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Emily

  By the time you're reading this letter, I must have been dead. He slapped me today again. He nearly smashed my head on the door post. I wish it had end anyways. But I will kill him to night. Definitely, I will. That your reading this piece, shows is my plan worked out well and  you're stand looking up, beneath my dangling lifeless body. I told myself, it's game over today. Don't you think its better I end it. May to stay away for good. What is life, when it's filled with scars, wounds, and tears and emotion ruptured at it's infancy. Mine was ruptured, crushed by him. Should i recall the endless nights, my nectar bud was ripped, rapped over and over again. I try to cry those times, but tears have dried up in skull. I don't emotional water any long, agony have stolen mine. Sometimes, wants them to flow down my Chick, to my Stive heart was no long responding to any tenderness. Did he actually married me? I'm. Sorry I have lost account of time and my mind